Sunday, July 14, 2013

Andiamo - Moving Forward

I've been wanting to wrap up this blog for several weeks now, mainly so that I could check in and tell you that no, I did not die of culture shock - but might have died of espresso withdrawal.

In fact, re-entry to American life has been surprisingly beautiful, all things considered. When I got off the plane in Cleveland, I wasn't overwhelmed or underwhelmed - I was just home. I felt as though everything was happening just as it was supposed to happen. I had been in Italy, I had this beautiful experience there, and now I was home and more good things were happening. It was all very much in order, and I appreciated everything as it happened.

I've been home for two months now. The oddest part is separation from my roommates, who were my closest friends, my family, since January. People I used to see every minute of every day I now no longer see, and that's strange. We keep in touch, but I need to get out to visit them soon. They were all very important parts of my learning experience, and I don't want to forget that.

At first, I did worry that I was starting to forget things - first just memories, places, but then more crucially faces, and words. Now I just feel that it's all a part of the process. I recorded what I could record in words and pictures, but life keeps on moving and I definitely want to be a part of everything new.

I was lucky to visit with many of the American friends that I missed the most right away when I got home, in May and June. I was so grateful for all of these visits. I think I actually do appreciate the people in my life more, after this experience. It was so sweet to see them excited for me to be back. I think it will be easier for me to make my life a little more centered around those I care about, like I said that I would like to start doing.

I think that I am also far more conscious of the way in which I interact with people after all this. Now I've started a new job in Chautauqua, New York, working in interfaith dialogue. I work very closely with very diverse people, something I don't think I could have done as well before my experience with my very diverse roommates in Italy.

If you are interested in continuing to read about my adventures, especially my work in interfaith dialogue and social justice, I started a new blog:

http://libertyboundtogether.blogspot.com

As St. Augustine once said, "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." I hope this blog inspires you to take on some adventures of your own, since the core of one's spirit comes from new experiences. Buon viaggio!

No comments:

Post a Comment